I love taking this dip to potlucks because I like asking people what they think it is after they taste it. Who does that?!?! Me I guess! I would say that 90% of the time people say it’s some type of bean dip or hummus. Most people think it’s made of chickpeas and salsa of some sort. They’re kind of on the right track but not exactly. There is salsa in there but there aren’t any beans mixed in. This easy protein dip is one of my favorite snacks to have around because it’s healthy and delicious.
Snacks on Snacks
I originally came up with this when I saw people making their own baby food. I thought it looked like dip when I first saw it and was pretty impressed when I realized what it was. I figured if I mixed it with some of my favorite salsa that I might be able to make it taste like dip. It honestly couldn’t have been any easier to make this. Sometimes I’ll come across a new salsa and just go ahead and make this just to see how it pairs.
This was such a life saver when I was on prep for my competitions last year. I was on prep starting the beginning of January all the way through the end of June so I took this to any family parties that I knew snacks were going to be a big part of. I also made my own chips using Joseph’s Lavash and it was fantastic. I still make this all the time because I’m definitely a snacker and this hits the spot when I want some chips and dip.
If you’re looking for a new twist on some healthy snacks then this is definitely it. Another way to enjoy this dip is to pair it with some fresh veggies. A veggie tray along side this easy protein dip is an easy way to enjoy the festivities without completely blowing your diet. Although I’m not dieting at the moment for any competitions I still like to eat mindfully and if I’m gonna go for something super high in calories then it’s going to be dessert! I have a massive sweet tooth and am a total sucker for cookies, cake, pie, or anything with chocolate really.Print
Easy Protein Dip
Super easy, delicous, and healthy protein dip that can be paired with a side of chips or veggies.
1 lb chicken breast
1 jar salsa of choice or queso dip of choice (can use both)
2 celery stalks
1 bell pepper
1/2 small onion
1 garlic clove
chicken bouillon cube
Enough water to submerge the chicken
- Add chicken, vegetables, garlic, seasonings and bouillon cube in a pot with enough water to cover the chicken.
- Boil the chicken until it is completely done, remove from water, and place in blender.
- Cook vegetable until they are completely soft then remove from water and place in blender with the chicken breast.
- Add a couple tablespoons of left over chicken broth and blend. Keep adding chicken broth one tablespoon at a time until you have a thick paste like consistency.
- Add your favorite salsa or queso dip of choice to the chicken mixture until it is like a dip consistency of your liking. Flavor it with any additional seasonings of your choice.
- Pair it with your favorite tortilla chips or a side of veggies and get to dipping!
I make the base and switch out the salsa or queso dip depending on what I have on hand or what flavor I am wanting. I sometimes throw in some pico de gallo for a little more texture or if I’m wanting a chunkier dip.
Here are some other great snack options!